Key Focus Areas
Research at the ACI cuts across the cancer continuum, whether it be prevention, screening, early detection, diagnosis, treatment or palliative care.
Research projects focus on:
- Providing a greater understanding of the aetiology of cancer within South Africa and on the African continent;
- Improving risk profiling for surveillance and monitoring;
- Fostering innovative approaches to integrative cancer medicine;
- Developing cost-effective and readily available diagnostic and prognostic technologies;
- Discovering new therapies and enhancing current therapies for cancer treatment;
- Increasing research capacity and the technical skills of our scientists, clinicians and other health-care professionals;
- Strengthening health systems and services within the cancer domain;
- Ensuring knowledge dissemination and public awareness of cancer prevention and management; and finally
- Formulating evidence-based policy for cancer prevention, management and control.